Thursday, April 14, 2011

Homemade Hostess Cupcakes

I have been seeing these cupcakes posted for quite awhile, and decided to try and make them on my own. They were so delicious. Much better than the real ones. So next time don't buy them at the store, but try making them yourself. You will be glad you did!

Makes about 24
Your favorite chocolate cake
I often use boxed cake mix, and dr. it up a little!
Line  muffin tin with cupcake liners, make cake according to directions and fill cupcake liners 3/4 of the way. Bake and let cool completely.

Filling:
1/2 - cup margarine or butter at room temp.
1/2 - cup crisco shortening
1/2 - vegetable oil
3 - cups powdered sugar
Mix above ingredients at med. high speed for 5 minutes.
Add: 1- egg white and 1- teaspoon vanilla and beat for 2 more minutes. Fill the center of your cup cakes by either cutting a small cone shape in the top of the cupcake or my preference using a pastry bag with a special tip. Click here to find tip I use!

Chocolate Frosting: 
1/4 - stick butter
1/4 - cup milk
1/4 - cup cocoa
In a saucepan combine all ingredients and stir well, bring to a boil and boil 1 minute. Remove from heat and allow to cool. I put it in the fridge to speed things up. You want it to be thick enough where it won't run off the cupcakes yet not to thick.
For the squiggly writing on top I used the leftover cream filling , but added about 1/2 cup of powdered sugar to thicken it up a little. ENJOY!!
  
So delicious

Couldn't wait for the first bite!


Oh my  :)
    

1 comment:

Elaine said...

They are soooo cute and I bet they taste delicous!!!!!